Roof Right Solutions Services
Ice dam & snow removal in Calgary“Ice dams” are common under heavy snow loads like Calgary has experienced this year. The city saw a record-breaking snowfall in the first few days of March. Our roofing crews have been very busy as of late with roof ice dam removal and roof top snow removal in Calgary, and various other locations over the last few weeks due to recent storms. This winter has been extreme and difficult for many roofs in Western Canada. Please contact us if you currently experiencing any water infiltrations OR if you simply want to prevent any leaks/damages to your home by removing the snow off the roof.
What is an ice dam?An ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms at the edge of a roof and prevents melting snow (water) from draining off the roof. The water that backs up behind the dam can leak into a home and cause damage to walls, ceilings, insulation, and other areas. Figure 1 shows a cross section of a home with an ice dam.
What causes ice dams?There is a complex interaction among the amount of heat loss from a house, snow cover, and outside temperatures that leads to ice dam formation. For ice dams to form there must be snow on the roof, and, at the same time, higher portions of the roof's outside surface must be above 0°C while lower surfaces are below 0°C. For a portion of the roof to be below 0°C, outside temperatures must also be below 0°C. When we say temperatures above or below 0°C, we are talking about average temperature over sustained periods of time.The snow on a roof surface that is above 0°C will melt. As water flows down the roof it reaches the portion of the roof that is below 0°C and freezes. Voila! - an ice dam.The dam grows as it is fed by the melting snow above it, but it will limit itself to the portions of the roof that are on the average below 0°C. So the water above backs up behind the ice dam and remains a liquid. This water finds cracks and openings in the exterior roof covering and flows into the attic space. From the attic it could flow into exterior walls or through the ceiling insulation and stain the ceiling finish.Nonuniform roof surface temperatures lead to ice dams.
Preventing and dealing with ice damsIn all Calgary communities it is possible to find homes that do not have ice dams. Ice dams can be prevented by controlling the heat loss from the home.
- Remove snow from the roof. This eliminates one of the ingredients necessary for the formation of an ice dam. A "roof rake" and push broom can be used to remove snow, but may damage the roofing materials.
- In an emergency situation where water is flowing into the house structure, making channels through the ice dam allows the water behind the dam to drain off the roof. Hosing with tap water on a warm day will do this job. Work upward from the lower edge of the dam. The channel will become ineffective within days and is only a temporary solution to ice dam damage.
- First, make the ceiling air tight so no warm, moist air can flow from the house into the attic space.
- After sealing air leakage paths between the house and attic space, consider increasing the ceiling/roof insulation to cut down on heat loss by conduction.
- Natural roof ventilation can help maintain uniform roof temperatures, but if the long-term actions described here are done effectively, then only small amounts of roof ventilation are needed to maintain uniform roof surface temperatures. If heat transfer has been reduced substantially, then snow will build up on the roof and cover natural roof ventilation systems, reducing attic ventilation rates. Natural attic ventilation systems are needed to dry the attic space and remove heat buildup during the summer.
Roofing Replacement ServicesWhether it's for a replacement roof for an existing one or a new roof for your new home, Roof Right Solutions is here to help with our 15 year workmanship warranty! Roof Right Solutions is one of the most reliable roofing companies in Calgary specializing in Asphalt Shingle Roofing installation, replacement and repair. We will provide you with quality roofing services including installation that exceeds industry standards. At Roof Right Solutions - we stand by our work! Our roofs are aesthetically pleasing (using the latest asphalt roofing products) and will provide added protection against heat, cold, heavy rain, snow and hail.We understand that price is always a concern and that money may be tight. That is why it is our company's policy to save our customers as much as possible on our roofing services, while delivering the best product, workmanship and value on the market. Our pre-screening process will let our estimators assist you in selecting the most suitable roofing material based on Calgary's local climate conditions as well as the style of your home versus your budget requirements.
Do you have a leaky roof? Then we can repair It or build a replacement roof! Roof Right Solutions excels in all types of repairs for your asphalt building. We strongly believe in providing our customers with honest advice and doing only what is needed to be done for each individual customer.Our project managers will come out to inspect your building and offer suggestions on specific leaks, or other areas of concern. Our personnel have the experience to find problems and repair them properly, saving you money and future headaches! Because your roof has issues, it does not necessarily mean that you need to replace it. Call us at (403) 460-9394 and we will be happy to determine your needs and fill them.